Ostuni: production workshop of orecchiette, made strictly by hand
CONTACT US ON WHATSAPP TO KNOW IF THERE IS AVAILABILITY!
The orecchiette are a type of pasta typical of the Puglia region, whose shape is approximately that of small ears, from which the name derives. Their size is about 3/4 of a thumb's finger, and they look like a small dome, with the thinnest center of the edge and the rough surface. They are seasoned mainly with turnip tops (typical dish), with cauliflower, broccoli and other vegetables or with meat sauce. The "poor" version typical of our area are the orecchiette with bread crumbs (meddic'la).
They were widespread in Puglia between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries starting from the capital Bari but the origins are probably to be found in the French Provence, where since the Middle Ages it was produced a similar paste using the durum wheat of southern France.
The particular form facilitated its drying and conservation to cope with periods of famine and loaded in large quantities on ships that were about to face long journeys. Jewish tradition also claims its origin: Haman's ears - the antagonist of Esther's book.
In ancient 16th century farms we will learn the ancient art from wise hands, following the traditional recipe and equipped with simple tools: water, flour, a pastry board and a knife. We will reveal the secrets to make a perfect "orecchietta", with the ingredient of patience and lots of love.
The laboratory is available in two ways:
- EASY (laboratory only): possibility to choose the workshop in the farm or in the structure between the alleys of the historic center, we will learn how to make the pasta up to the production of the orecchiette. Visit to the ancient masseria and a tasting with oil and local gastronomic products. OPTION surcharge: cook and enjoy this little treasure accompanied by our meat sauces, with vegetables or with the typical "poor" recipe with bread crumbs and anchovies.
- LUXURY: (exclusive of the entire farm, custom laboratory and lunch or dinner included) a historic farm in the heart of the Valle d'Itria will be reserved exclusively for guests of the North Salento Tour with the preparation of various local dishes: orecchiette, homemade bread , focaccia (according to your wishes). The workshop culminates in lunch or dinner (depending on the time of booking) in which we will taste the precious dishes prepared with our hands and included in the complete menu (appetizer, first course, second course, side dish, fruit and drinks).
The price is per person
All the year
min 2 max 25 participants
Things to remember
Comfortable shoes, camera
Local operator details
Quick order without registration. You can continue with the purchase without creating an account.
In the email confirmation of booking and executed the payment, we will send you by e-mail the voucher and complete information on the operator, including telephone numbers.
Before performing payment, always tell us by e-mail email@example.com or at 333.5993937, the date you want to book to check availability.
How to book
- Before booking, always ask us the date you want to book to check availability, filling out the form that you find in every excursion or call us at 333.5993937
- Confirmed the date, click on book and buy (no need to register and create an account)
- Completed the payment, we will send by e-mail the voucher and complete information on local operator, including telephone numbers